6.-7.12.1993, San Francisco, Preconference: Healthy Cities Communications Toolbox Summary
(prior to the 1st International Healthy Cities and Communities conference, 8.-11.12.1993)
- 2-day Preconference workshop, with c. 50 participants
- Organizer: Communications and Computer Applications in Public Health (CCAPH), 2600 Tenth Str., Suite 428, Berkeley, CA. 94710
- Chairman: Michael D. McDonald, Windom Health Enterprises
- Venue: Pacific Bell Offices, 370 3rd St., San Francisco, CA 94107 (across from the Moscone Center).
Program, Day 1:
- Vision, incl. Mandil (WHO): The importance of networking and data in realizing “Health for All”; Coullahan (Consortium for International Earth Science, CIESIN): Human dimensions of global change
- Luncheon Speaker, Len Duhl
- Lessons from Pioneering Projects, incl. Panel: The communications needs of Healthy Cities
- Open Demonstrations, incl. San Francisco H.C. Network; CIESIN; SimCity; SimHealth; ARPA toolbox.
Program, Day 2:
- Communications toolbox, incl. Silva (White House): ARPA toolbox; Hiles: SimHealth; Pletcher: CIESIN Access to information; Everett: Healthy Cities Geographic Information System; Johnson-Lenz (Institute for Awakening Technologies): Groupware – Tools for Healthy Civic Life
- Working groups, incl. Terminals/Public/private/Professional; Simulation and communication functions; Participatory governance; Intercity linkages … Cf. Working Group facilitation; Goal: Each group will produce elements of the Summit proceedings to inform the White House and the World Health Organization on issues of health information infrastructure.