17-19 Mar 2016, St.Peter-Ording & Wadden Sea National Park

Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park / Nationalpark Schleswig-Holsteinisches Wattenmeer

From St.Peter-Ording (Eiderstedt North Sea peninsula): a pier stretching 1000 meters into the coastal outland, across tidal flats, tideways, salt marsh, and sandbanks / Von St.Peter-Ording (Nordsee-Halbinsel Eiderstedt) ausgehend: 1000 m lange Seebrücke ins Vorland mit Watt, Prielen, Salzwiesen und Sandbänken

Further parts of the National park which, since 2009, is recognized as UNESCO World Natural Heritage: Lower-Saxony Wadden Sea and Hamburg Wadden Sea / Weitere Teile des Nationalparks, der seit 2009 auch als UNESCO-Weltnaturerbe anerkannt ist: Niedersächsisches Wattenmeer und Hamburgisches Wattenmeer, www.nationalpark-wattenmeer.de/

St.Peter-Ording selected chronology / Kurz-Chronologie

  • First settlements about 300 p.C. / Erste Besiedlung ca. 300 n.Ch.
  • Church St Peter from 12th century, with original window in the Romanesque quire; bell tower reconstructed in 1999 by four retired wood workers / Kirche St.Peter aus 12. Jahrhundert mit Originalfenster im romanischen Zwischenchor; Klockstapel (Glockenturm) 1999 wiederhergestellt von vier „Holzbearbeitungsrentnern“
  • “Haubarg” farmhouse, introduced in the 16th century by West Frisian immigrants / “Haubarg”, eingeführt im 16. Jahrhundert durch westfriesische Einwanderer
  • Pond originating from a dike breach caused by a storm surge (1634) / Wehle, entstanden durch Deichbruch bei Sturmflut 1634
  • Guardhouse (1826): the Danish dune protection police safeguarded the beachgrass which was culled by the poor from the dunes, since its roots and stems were usable for producing ropes and brushes – thus undermining the protective function of the dunes during storm surges / Wachhaus (1826): die dänische Dünenschutzpolizei schützte den Strandhafer, der wegen seiner für die Herstellung von Seilen und Besen nutzbaren Wurzeln und Halme von armer einheimischer Bevölkerung aus den Dünen entnommen wurde – hierdurch wurde die Schutzfunktion der Dünen bei Sturmfluten untergraben
  • Nautic tower (1890) replacing a wooden landmark (1745); functioning as a lighthouse since 1914 / Steinturm (1890), der eine hölzerne Bake von 1745 ersetzte; ab 1914 als Leuchtfeuer betrieben.

Source / Quelle: Heitmann, C. (2001): Drei historische Wanderwege durch St.Peter-Ording. Dreilandenverlag, St.Peter-Ording